Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chicken, Shiitake, Wild Rice and Lemongrass Soup

I dreamed this up a few weeks ago when I was feeling a cold coming on. It's a snooty urban twist on the ol' chicken soup comfort soup solution.

No photos because I haven't made it in a while, but I'll add a few next time I brew this up. It is rather yummy.

5ish cups chicken stock
1 cup rice - I used a mixed wild with short grain brown
2 chicken breasts - sliced
2 fat carrots, sliced
1 onions, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced*
1 stalk of lemongrass, finely diced
fistful of dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in a few cups boiling water (reserve water) and thinly sliced
2-3 chubby cloves of garlic, minced
thumbish sized chunk of fresh ginger, grated
juice of 2 limes
pinch of saffron, just because
fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste


Pour your stock in a large pot. Set to a jaunty simmer.

Add rice.

While rice is simmering get your veggies and such sliced, diced, chopped and otherwise ready.

Add carrots, onions, celery, lemongrass, mushrooms, garlic and ginger. G'head and toss that shiitake water in too.

Add chicken.

Add saffron, some salt and pepper, and juice of one lime.

Give it a few minutes to simmer (no salmonella wanted here!) and give it a taste. The other lime and more salt and pepper (and possibly more ginger and garlic) might come in handy here.

Enjoy!

Also delicious with rice cracker crumbs sprinkled on, tortilla soup styles.

I didn't go all hog wild on the usual chicken herbs because I didn't want them brawling with the lemony limeyness. If I had fresh thai basil I'd have totally gone there though.

*Last time I made it I didn't have celery so I used a diced apple instead. It was a pretty tasty substitution.